Unfortunately, the time before Arabian rule is not documented. So we do
not know whether there was already a settlement at that time. Therefore,
it is believed that Moclinejo is an Arab foundation. The name and
location suggest this. Although the meaning of Moclinejo is not clear,
it could come from Moclin. People from the province of Granada could
have founded the village. In the chronicles of the 15th and 16th
centuries it is mentioned as Moclinetum, Mohinete, Modinete, Molinete
The Christian troops of the commander of Antequera, General Don Pedro Enriquez, suffered a bloody defeat in the battle against the Muslims in 1482. The Muslims fled to a castle and saw their property go up in flames. They came out of hiding and threw tree trunks and stones at Christian troops. Alfonso de Aguilar's troops were so injured that there is still a gorge in the Moclinejo district called 'Hoya de los Muertos' (case of death). The rest of the story is similar to how we did it in other areas. The Christians won, the Muslims were driven out. The economic decline began.
In the century before last, the economic ("re") boom was interrupted by the appearance of phylloxera. The area slowly recovered and grape growing and raisin production are still the main source of income for Moclinejo.
The castle started at "Plaza de la Iglesia" and ran around a small cluster of houses. Within this demarcation 1499 34 families lived in Moclinejo and in 1942 there were 30 families. The city wall that bounds the church runs west-east. In the northern part, the place name has been preserved (Calle Castillo - Burgstraße), which also partially marks the course of the room, which also coincides with the contour lines and with a street that surrounds the village. From there you can also see today's cemetery, which is roughly where the medieval cemetery was - in the lower part of the village on the Benagalbón river. The walls, which the inhabitants at that time called "castle", had a circumference of approximately 380 meters in length and covered an urban area of approximately 9,025 square meters, which corresponded to approximately 53 houses and approximately 212 inhabitants.